Our mission is to increase the size and health of the urban tree canopy in Boston through engagement, outreach, education, and advocacy. We partner with municipalities and community organizations to plant trees, increase community engagement, improve tree policies, and raise awareness about the importance of trees, especially in environmental justice neighborhoods with low tree coverage. Our aim is to support the City of Boston to reach its goal of 35% urban tree canopy coverage by 2030.
We are rooted in four core values:
- Urban resiliency is critical in this era of global climate change.
- All Boston residents deserve a clean and healthy urban environment.
- Green communities are the backbone of safe spaces, social cohesion, and livable neighborhoods.
- Because all citizens play an important role in solving local and global environmental challenges, we are seeking inclusion of a variety and diversity of stakeholders from all of Boston’s neighborhoods.
Speak for the Trees’ current Board of Directors includes Dr. David Meshoulam, Amanda Rich, Melinda Vega, Andrew Droste, Dr. Atyia Martin, Joe Stein and Taurean Green. We seek a diverse board that can assist in expanding the organization’s impact and reach.
- Leverage connections, networks, and partnerships to help SFTT achieve its mission.
- Identify, secure, and oversee additional financial support.
- Serve as an ambassador and representative of SFTT to promote the organization’s mission.
- Have a passion for issues of urban environmental resilience, justice, and public health.
- Recruit new board members who have skills and backgrounds that serve the organization’s needs.
- Help locate and engage like-minded organizations, municipalities, and academic institutions.
- Complete a three (3) year term (with a maximum of 2 terms per member).
- Provide assistance by participating in ad hoc committees for projects and expertise, as needed.
- Participate in 90-minute quarterly meetings (virtual until public health guidelines allow in person.)
- Participate in inter-quarterly conference 45-60 minute conference calls.
- Contribute financially at a level of personal significance.
- In conjunction with the board, assist in raising 10% of annual budget (~$30,000 of $300,000).
We seek board candidates who embody the following characteristics and skills:
- Passion and influence to help SFTT add scale to its programs.
- Experience in strategy development, accounting, financial management, grant-writing, marketing/branding, long-term budget planning, fundraising, and event coordination.
- Climate justice/environmental activism experience.
- Knowledge and expertise in forestry and/or arboriculture.
- Strong professional and personal networks at the community level.
- Previous experience as a board member of a non-profit, but all candidates will be considered.
Interested candidates should send an email with a recent resume to [email protected].