Join our team and help Boston’s trees thrive!
The Tree Care Associate’s job is to water and care for trees planted by the organization and, in collaboration with the City of Boston, may be asked to water and care for additional trees managed by the city. They will be supplied with a pickup truck that is outfitted with a watering tank and pump. As needed, they will also assist at tree planting and giveaway events, will participate in the planning process for volunteer tree care activities, and may take the lead on some of these activities as their schedule allows. They will check in regularly with SFTT staff and participate in SFTT’s weekly staff meetings to learn about the progress of other SFTT projects and share their perspectives. Their work will be supported by current staff.
- Regular watering of trees planted by the organization
- Tracking and reporting of trees watered
- Assisting with tree health evaluation
- Assisting at tree planting and giveaway events
- Assisting at volunteer tree stewardship events
- Regular maintenance of equipment, including the pickup truck, watering tank, and tools
- Reporting any challenges encountered and working collaboratively to problem solve
- Valid Massachusetts drivers license
- Ability to lift 50 lbs on a regular basis
- Experience in tree planting and basic tree care
- Excellent communication skills
- Commitment to tree equity and social, racial, and environmental justice
- Ability to take initiative and be a self-starter
- Ability to communicate in one or more non-English languages commonly spoken in Boston preferred
$25/hour + retirement and health benefits + paid time off. This position is 30-35 hours per week for 7 to 8 months.
How to Apply
We are currently accepting applications and will fill the position as soon as possible. The application period will stay open until the position is filled.
Please submit the following:
- One-page cover letter as a PDF or hard copy addressed to David Meshoulam, Executive Director.
- One-page resume with three references, either as a PDF or hard copy.
Please send resume & cover letter to:
Speak for the Trees
1452 Dorchester Ave, 4th Floor
Dorchester MA 02122
OR email [email protected].
If sending by email, please include your last name and “Tree Care Associate Job Application” in the subject line.
Questions?: Call 617-398-7409 or email David Meshoulam at [email protected]
A pdf version of the job is available here.
Founded in 2018, Speak for the Trees is an urban and community forestry nonprofit in Boston focused on improving the size, health, and equity of Boston’s urban forest. The organization works closely with community groups and residents to transform the urban landscape, its environment, and the relationships between trees and people. At the core of SFTT’s values is that all residents deserve the multiple health, environmental, and social benefits that trees provide and that all residents have the power to plant a better future for themselves and Boston. The work of the organization serves as a tool to begin to dismantle decades of racial, environmental, social, and economic injustice. We envision a city with a healthy tree canopy, one that takes into account issues of racial, economic, and environmental inequities.
Speak for the Trees is rooted in the values of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion and
is committed to building a team that represents diverse backgrounds, perspectives, & skills.
Individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.