Looking to plant or care for a tree?
You’ve come to the right place!
Step 1: Select the right tree
- ArborDay Foundation’s Choosing the Right Tree online tool
- Planting for Resilience: Selecting Urban Trees in Massachusetts, published by UMass-Amherst Department of Environmental Conservation, provides detailed suggestions on species that are will be best suited for a new climate.
- Climate and Health Species List provides a list of tree species based on their climate vulnerability, carbon storage and human health impacts. For a more extensive review of the project, visit the Climate Change Response Network website.
- Additional information is available from Mass DCR’s 2-page information sheet.
Step 2: Select the right spot
- There’s no better tool for determining where to plant your tree than iTree Design.
Step 3: Proper Planting Technique
- Massachusetts DCR has a 2 page Tree Planting Guide.
- Received one of our bare-root seedlings? Read here on how to plant a seedling.
Step 4: Care for your New Tree
- For the basics on how to water, mulch, and prune, head over to the DCR.
- Proper pruning techniques are available from the US Forest Service’s How to Prune handbook.